Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Day Twelve: good news in my house at least!

This is a really fascinating article. One of the best I've read since I started this 12 days ago (and I have read A LOT of news articles, believe me). It's about all the bacteria that have a positive influence on our existence - on our appetite, our immune system and even, it seems, on our happiness! There is some bad news - as many have suspected for some time, modern cleaning agents, hand sanitizers and society's 'germ free' obsession may be doing us a disservice. But it seems we are getting closer to understanding the power of microbes and to learning how to foster the 'good bacteria' whilst controlling 'the bad bacteria'. (I am starting to sound like an advert for yogurt...) My answer: clean infrequently, with fruit-based eco-friendly products, and all will probably stay in balance!!

4 comments:

Diana P said...

Where can we get hold of this fruit disinfectant stuff?

This article sounds like common sense, but really good someone is saying it. Thank you, Eazibee, for finding it!

eazibee said...

Hello Diana

Good to hear from you. Glad you liked the bacteria article!

It's hard to recommend appropriate cleaning products without knowing where you live. However, if you happen to be in the UK, then I would recommend Ecover products. If you are in the US, then Method stuff is good - Seventh Generation products are also ok. If you are somewhere else, let me know, and I will investigate!!

Bottom line: these products get your house clean but they don't turn it into a chemical factory.

all best, E

SuzieF said...

Thanks for giving me a valid excuse for cleaning infrequently!!

eazibee said...

Yes, I told you it was good news!! E