Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Day Nineteen: little girl pulled from plane wreckage

This is an amazing 'local' story, of a 3-year-old Canadian girl pulled from the wreckage of her grandfather's Cessna aircraft after it crashed in the Rockies. Unfortunately, the girl's grandfather (the pilot) and a fellow passenger were killed in the crash. But the girl was strapped securely into her car seat, which must have been a key factor in her survival. Rescuers found her hanging upside down, just before darkness fell. Her first request upon being rescued? Her teddy bear.

2 comments:

Harry said...

When I read stories like this I am impressed by the innocence of childhood.
How will she feel, I wonder, when she is older? It could go either way: how wonderful that I was saved, how awful that father and grandfather died.
The Hardyesque view would suggest the arbitrary nature of Destiny. But I don't think that's true here, she was probably belted in more securely and thus had a better chance of survival.
Certainly, thinking of Kane's Rosebud, it's something that will define all her life.

eazibee said...

Hi Cobaltbuzz

Thanks for your reflections. My initial one was similar. Then I thought, like you, that actually this is on balance a pretty straightforward tale about the benefits of sitting in the backseat and being strapped in...

I should also clarify that the unfortunate passenger was not her father. Both parents were at home at the time of the crash and have now no doubt been reunited with their daughter (and her teddy bear).

E