Saturday, October 11, 2008

366: keeping yourself sane, even if others aren't!

This article, from the UK's Times newspaper, seemed a very appropriate way to end the RTBH 'year of good news' in these uncertain economic times. It is an excellent assessment of the ways in which fear and panic can be contagious - the old 'madness of crowds' at work, basically. But it also gives some helpful hints on how to build your own resilience and resist the wave of mass anxiety. Not surprisingly, the tips include employing techniques such as deep breathing, yoga and meditation, and drawing on communities you're involved in, including religious groups. Other tips are more interesting. The article's author urges us to stay curious and not to lay too low - in other words, don't avoid doing new things, even though you may feel particularly risk-averse right now. Another tip is to keep a 'gratitude journal' - some kind of record of things that bring you joy in your life, or just things that help you keep going. I suppose that's what I've been doing all year, in fact. And, no, I'm not going to stop just because the 366 days (it's a leap year) are up. RTBH will keep going - I'm going to try and post regularly, particularly if readers keep sending in the helpful tales they find. Because there are always reasons to be hopeful - even if sometimes you have to hunt around a bit to find them...

---------

I'd like to thank all those readers who have sent articles to me over the course of the last year, as well as those who have sent messages of thanks, encouragement and support. I can't tell you how much that has meant to me. It's been a great source of inspiration, truly. Some of my favourite messages include those from the young man who wrote to say that RTBH had helped him keep going through tough times in his life, the woman who let me know that she sometimes saves stories from RTBH and reads them out in church, and several people (from places as diverse as Japan, South Africa and the US) who wrote to urge me to keep going... I am so grateful for your kind words, and am so glad that RTBH has brought you some solace and some smiles. :-)

No comments: