Tuesday, October 7, 2008

362: clean energy that's worth a punt (or barge)

Thanks very much to RTBH reader Paul for sending in today's linked article from the BBC. (I must say I have been very fortunate in this, my final week of the original RTBH experiment - I've had some great articles from readers! Thank you!) The article showcases just the type of innovation we need - small-scale but appropriate, and meeting the demands of tough economic and environmental times. Apparently, British Waterways (a public body) is planning to install about 50 wind turbines and additional small hydro-electric turbines along Britain's canals, which will power around 45,000 homes. That's not all though. It is thought the scheme could generate more than £1m a year to protect and maintain Britain's waterways. It sounds like a genuine win-win: historical bridges, locks and canals are conserved, while clean, affordable energy is generated. More of that, please! (Photo from BBC online.)

2 comments:

Jim Gerl said...

Hi,

I just voted for your excellent blog for Bloggers Choice Awards.

Could you please return the favor at:
http://bloggerschoiceawards.
com/blogs/show/21620

Thanks,

SpEdLaw2
http://specialeducationlawblog.blogspot.com

eazibee said...

Hi there
I think I voted for you on Bloggers' Choice a long time back - but I'll check!
E

PS - thanks for your vote!!