Wednesday, April 2, 2008

174: hope for coffee drinkers

Well, this certainly gave me some hope today. I knew there was a good reason for my daily caffeine kick - besides the obvious one, i.e. that it wakes me up in the morning. According to research cited in today's linked article from BBC online, the daily caffeine equivalent of one cup of coffee may strengthen the 'blood brain barrier' that protects the central nervous system from chemicals circulating in the bloodstream. Experiments conducted by the University of North Dakota - albeit on rabbits, rather than humans - found that caffeine produced this effect even in those on a high cholesterol diet (which is generally thought to weaken the blood brain barrier). This new evidence could help focus new research into the prevention of neurological disorders like Alzheimer's and strokes - as well as preventing me (and all the 'happy bunnies') from giving up my caffeine boost! (Photo from BBC online.)

2 comments:

Diana P said...

Great news!

Instead of warning us off all the nice things which are bad, we ought to hear more of the healthy-good things like this! I hope there's a list somewhere...

In the meantime, coffees all round!

eazibee said...

thanks Diana - yes, I feel a 'red wine is good for you' story coming on... ! E