Friday, November 9, 2007

Day Twenty-Nine: it's the little things...

It's Friday, so a more light-hearted tale seems appropriate - to me at least.

This article outlines a growing men's movement in Japan, focused on encouraging men to be more open, considerate and loving with their wives. The movement, which loosely translates as 'the Chauvinistic Husbands Association' (!), emphasizes saying "thank you", " I love you", and "I'm sorry" when appropriate - and requires its members to apologise in public for transgressions such as leaving the toilet seat up. The latter may seem a little extreme. But in the face of soaring rates of marital break-down (and limited gender equality) in Japan, the Association clearly felt extreme measures were necessary. And many Japanese women may well feel this is cause for hope...

Is it more broadly relevant? Well, maybe - after all, how many of us say "I love you", "thank you" and "I'm sorry" when we should? Plus, as far as I'm concerned, anything that addresses the 'toilet seat problem' is to be welcomed.

1 comment:

Harry said...

I’m not sure how much of a future The Chauvinistic Husbands’ Association would have outside Japan. It’s one thing getting in touch with your feminine side, but publicly apologising for leaving the toilet seat up seems a bit much. If a husband needs to “hereby declare that [he] will stop going to the hostess bar” he’s going to need to work pretty hard to get up to number one in the relationship chart.
But I suppose the bottom line is that if flowers can't save your marriage, buy a bidet.