Sunday, November 4, 2007

Day Twenty-Four: Wonder Woman

I had to post this today! My admiration of Paula Radcliffe, winner of today's New York Marathon, is absolute. I am not sure how I feel about the fact that she trained through her pregnancy (I don't know enough about what that entailed exactly, though apparently she and her doctor came up with a 'plan') but her determination, commitment and sheer hard work got her past that finishing line first today - having had a baby in January - and, as a mother of two children myself, I have no idea how she managed it. Here's to girl power!

2 comments:

Harry said...

What I find particularly admirable about Paula Radcliffe’s victory is not only that she managed to hit top form just 9 months after having a baby, but also that she continues to lay the ghost of the Athens Olympics. Athens was a big blow to her self-esteem and confidence, not least because assumptions of victory had led to her autobiography being published to coincide with the Olympics. So, well done on all counts.
Nice, also, to see Gete Wami so gracious in defeat. I suppose the $500,000 Marathon Series prize softened the blow a bit (who said you get nothing for coming second?) but you’ve got to admire the way she behaved. Contrast the histrionics of soccer managers: you could actually get odds on whether Alex Ferguson and Arsene Wenger would shake hands after the Arsenal vs Manchester United game last Saturday.

eazibee said...

Well said, Mr Buzz. I agree with all of that. I had wondered how Paula would respond post-Olympics too, and am likewise impressed by her ability to put those difficulties behind her. And, yes, grace is a wonderful quality - particularly in defeat! E