Sunday, December 21, 2008

Concerted acts of kindness

This is a great story of some young men trying to spread festive cheer. I found it in the UK's Independent newspaper. The four men concerned are housemates in London, and some time ago they decided to try and brighten the lives of others by making their wishes come true. For example, they managed to persuade Yamaha to donate a red guitar to a child, and helped send people to see a soccer game at the new Wembley stadium and others to see the Moscow State Circus. More recently, though, their "Kindness Offensive" project has focused on gathering donations of food and toys to share with unsuspecting, but deserving, members of the public, such as asylum seekers. It's a great example of how - not so much random as calculated - acts of kindness can have a knock-on effect... not least of all on those being kind, as these guys seem to be really enjoying themselves! (Photo from the Independent.)

2 comments:

paddy said...

I really like this story. I heard about The Kindness Offensive on the day it happened, and to see it mentioned here too has just confirmed to me that I should definitely make good on my New Year's Resolution: I'm going to do something randomly kind or seselessly beautiful for one whole day each month in 2009.

eazibee said...

Thanks, Paddy. Your New Year's Resolution sounds like one worth making - and sticking to. Let me know how you get on! E