Thursday, February 21, 2008

133: gorillas gain cross-border protection

I found this story in a few places on the internet today. I'm posting the Reuters version carried by the Environmental News Network, which is a site that is worth a quick browse if you are interested in environmental issues (click the post title above to go there). The article reports that the authorities in Rwanda, Uganda and the Democratic Republic of Congo will come together in a co-ordinated effort to protect the remaining mountain gorillas of the region. The move comes after several gorillas were slaughtered last year, shocking local rangers and global conservationists alike. It is thought that just 720 gorillas remain, though this number is higher than during the 1980s before any conservation efforts kicked in. The new cross-border plans, funded initially by the Dutch government, will involve working directly with local communities to help them to protect the gorillas' habitat and act against poaching. In another 10 years, perhaps, we will know whether and how much the gorillas are benefiting...

----------

BREAKING NEWS: Gosh, I'm humbled! I just noticed that HappyNews.com carried an article about me - and specifically this blog - today. I spoke to the HappyNews team some time ago about RTBH but wasn't quite sure where that would lead. Well, now I know - it's a really nice and detailed report. Thanks so much, HappyNews! I really appreciate your support, and your own endeavors to spread happy vibes!

2 comments:

nommo said...

Anything to do with this?

http://www.peaceparks.org/

Or something different? I notice that the Dutch 'Postcode Lottery' has donated over €7 million since 2002 to the Peaceparks...

eazibee said...

Hmm, I don't know if that's directly related - seems to focus on Southern Africa more than Central / Eastern Africa - but it's definitely an interesting site/initiative. I think the grant to the Rwandans/Ugandans/Congolese may have come direct from the Dutch Government, probably from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, but I'm not sure...
Thanks, Paul, as ever, for your useful links and references!
E